My Third Quick Impression on Heroes of Deep Learning (HODL), from the course deeplearning.ai. This time on the interviews with Pieter Abbeel and Yuanqing Lin.
* This is my 3rd write-up on HODL, unlike the previous two (Hinton and Bengio), I will summarize two interviews, Pieter Abbeel and Yuanquing Lin in one post because both of the interviews are short (<15 mins).
* Both researchers are comparatively less known than stars such as Hinton, Bengio, Lecun and Ng. But everyone knows Pieter Abbeel as a important RL researchers and lecturers and Yuanqin Lin is the head of Baidu's Institutes of Deep Learning.
* Gems from Pieter Abbeel:
- Is there anyway to learn RL from another algorithm?
- Is there anyway we can learn a game but use the knowledge to learn another game faster?
- He used to want to be a basketball player. (More like a fun fact.)
- On learning: Having a mentor is good.
* Gems from Yuanqin Lin
- Lin is the director of Baidu, when he was at NEC, he won the first Imagenet competition.
- Lin describes a fairly impressive experimental framework based on PaddlePaddle. Based on what he describe, Lin is building a framework which allow researchers to rerun an experiment using an ID. I wonder how scalable such framework is.
- Lin was a physics student specialized in Optics
- On learning: use open source framework first, but learn up basic algorithms.
That's what I have. Enjoy!